Announcements of engagements.
Pictures of weddings.
Babies being born.
Dreams being fulfilled.
For some time my response to these things is an outward celebration and an inward jealousy, but the Lord has been speaking to me about this for some time. And by some time I mean over and over again for the last 8 or 9 years.
Romans 12:15 says this:
Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
Paul is instructing the Romans in Christians gifts and behavior in this passage. And he slips this one in there. Out of the blue, really. As to say, "Hey, don't think higher or lower of yourself compared to your brother, but live life together! Victories AND defeats!" I have observed that many christians share the tendency to get secretly jealous when we don't get our victory, our dream, our husband, our wife, our kids.
I know the feeling. It sucks when someone gets something you want. You can even end up wounding your own heart over it and grow bitter against victories. It could even be a reason the church lavishes itself in dismay and false humility.
I heard a speaker once share a story about a family with 6 or 7 children. I don't remember. Enough where your typical military family food budget has to be stretched thin every week. And once a week on shopping day, the mother would either take one of the kids with her or bring one of the kids a treat when she arrived home. And when this happened, the kids learned that one was not loved more over another, but rather it was simply another's turn. If not today, soon the next child will have the chance to receive a treat, or go grocery shopping with mom.
And in our christian walk, it's the same. Because your freind got married and you didn't, doesn't mean God loves you less or forgot about you. It simply means your turn is coming.
So when the weddings come? Dance. Dreams fulfilled? Laugh in victory. Success marks people? Throw a party! And the babies show up? Well, I guess babysitting now and again might let you share in the joy and relieve the parents from it for a few hours. Christians are marked by our love for one another. So let's celebrate in love!
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.
Psalm 23:6
That is really good stuff, Joey... and let me remind you ... your time is coming... oh, yeah!! Get ready... Start getting ready now... Your time is definitely coming!!
ReplyDeleteSuch a good topi Joey! Really really good points, we all get our turns for sure!
ReplyDelete